This creamy California walnut drink is perfect for porridge, cereals and drinks – and because it’s homemade you know there are no hidden nasties. Nutritional information is based on 250ml of drink.
- 230g California walnuts
- 700ml water
- Pinch salt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Place the walnuts into a mixing bowl and pour over enough cold water to completely cover, then leave to soak overnight.
- Drain the walnuts and rinse under cold running water.
- Place the soaked walnuts into a blender with the 700ml of water and blend for 2 minutes.
- Line a sieve with a piece of muslin cloth and strain, drawing together the corners of the cloth and twisting to extract as much of the liquid as possible. You can keep the remaining walnut grounds to make bircher, muffins or stir into porridge.
- Mix the liquid with a pinch of salt and the maple syrup, pour into a jug and store in the fridge.