Walnut & Mint Pesto with Wholewheat Spaghetti
With California walnut pesto and wholewheat spaghetti, this easy pasta dish is packed with fibre and will keep the whole family happy – perfect for lunch or a quick, simple dinner option.
- 140g wholewheat spaghetti
- 100g tenderstem broccoli
- ½ garlic clove
- 25g California walnuts, toasted, plus a few extra to garnish
- 10g basil
- 10g fresh mint leaves
- Pinch of salt
- 25g parmesan
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small courgette, spiralized
- Cook the pasta in plenty of salted boiling water according to the packet instructions, adding in the broccoli towards the end of the cooking time.
- Meanwhile grind the garlic, walnuts, basil, mint and salt in a pestle and mortar until you have smooth paste.
- Grate in the parmesan, then stir in the extra virgin olive oil, adjusting the seasoning to taste.
- Drain the pasta and tenderstem, setting aside 1 cup of the cooking water.
- Add a little of the pasta water to the pesto to loosen the mixture to a good consistency.
- Toss the pasta with the spiralized courgette allowing the residual heat to wilt it slightly, mix in the pesto, and sprinkle over a few extra chopped walnuts to serve.